Hytera notified it’s dealers about some updates that are coming soon. I will post again when the firmware is available.
Update 2018-10-09: This update will probably be released before then end of 2018.
What are the new features? Here is a summary:
- Optimized Push-to-Talk – This is a great new feature. If it works as documented, everyone will benefit.
- Full Duplex Call in Repeater/Direct Mode Operation (RMO/DMO) – An interesting feature, not sure if it will work on BrandMeister. But, for Simplex calls it will be great.
- Out-of-Range Notification in RMO – An alert (both audible and visual) when the radio is out of range of a repeater.
- Advanced Back-to-Back Connection – Allows link radios to be used when connecting two repeaters.
- Over The Air Programming (OTAP) for Conventional Repeater System – Provides a means to program radios over the air, great for getting all of you mobiles programmed.
- Offline GPS Data Storage – Stores GPS data when the radio is not able to get to a repeater.
- Enhanced Quick GPS – Enterprise feature, not used for amateur radio
- Trunking and Conventional Switch – Enterprise feature, not used for amateur radio
It is hard to say how many of these features well be available over the BrandMeister network, or when using non-Hytera repeaters. Below is the exact text of the announcement.
Full Duplex Call in RMO/DMO
Simultaneous voice transmission and reception in full duplex call now is available in Repeater Mode Operation (RMO) and Direct Mode Operation (DMO).
This feature greatly increases full-duplex coverage beyond Trunking Mode Operation (TMO); long calls are made hands-free and much more efficiently between radios, and even between radios and phones.
Advanced Back-to-Back Connection
More powerful than traditional back-to-back connection, this new feature sends not only audio, but also signaling and data. With the Advanced Back-to-back Connection, a radio receives a bunch of cross patch calls from another system, recognizing the PTT ID and receive text messages from initiator.
It also establishes remote RF link between sites; through serial port back-to-back connection to repeater, the mobile transmits signal, data and voice.
Data relays through serial port interconnection between the mobile and repeater. With this new feature, Hytera control station can provide RF link for the repeater network when there is no solid back-haul connection.
OTAP for Convention Repeater System
Over the Air Programming modifies the parameters of remote terminals through the air interface signaling, including digital conventional channel parameters and part parameters of the terminal. It saves on time and manpower required to operate and maintain a radio system.
Offline GPS Data Storage
Radio models with a micro SD card are now able to store offline GPS data when the radio is outside the range of system coverage. GPS data can be extracted from the SD card when the radio returns to the office allowing the dispatch system to record the GPS history of the radio.
Enhanced Quick GPS
Compressed GPS data can be packaged in a single frame to greatly increase the capacity up to 450 units per minute, which is tripled in DMR Tier II system. This enhancement improves channel efficiency for data and reduce hardware cost.
Trunking and Conventional Switch
By pressing a single button or twisting the channel knob, it enables radios to be switched between trunking and conventional mode without restarting. During this process, registration & deregistration in the trunking system is done automatically, and over the air authentication is still available.
It allows a radio to set up audio buffer and store what the user speaks before the call is established. Then it sends the stored audio together with the coming real-time audio after the call is established. Therefore, users can talk right after pressing PTT without waiting for the “go-ahead tone’’. This feature also enhances the handover function without dropping communications in Tier III system during sites switch.
Out-Of-Range Notification in RMO
A radio is always notified when it has left the repeater coverage. The users can realize if they are in the talk range all the time by paying attention to the alert tone.